Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Brandon's Sixty Third Email! October 17th, 2016

So first of all, my comp and I have been doing exercises really hard every morning. It helps both of us focus more during our studies, and just feel with more energy throughout the day. Friday we did legs and did some new workouts and we are both still sooooo sore. Like the past 3 days have just been walking with splints on my legs I feel like. We look like robots I think.

Another thing. Montevideo sends out to the zones a thick plain black nylon bag weekly with whatever other packages for letters and things. We go pick it up from the bus agency and so we go, show them our passport, sign something and take this stuff. We send it back in a day or two with return mail to the offices. Throughout my mission people have yelled C.I.A. at us and I understand why more now. It looks kind of funny. And like in ties and white shirts. I was laughing when someone yelled it and I was like what do they... then looked at us and was like, hmmm, this isn't normal.

I really like the scripture in Romans 8:16. Most people feel that they are a child of God, it's just natural. If we don't, we just need to get a little closer to God so the spirit can let us feel it.

This week I had an intercambio with Elder Peterson in San Ramón and it was great. We had a few lessons, and I did the baptismal interview for their investigator, this 20 year old guy, who got baptized on Saturday! It was a great experience to be able to chat with someone who is ready and prepared to get baptized. He has lived a rough life but has changed so much and humbly wants to follow Christ. I really enjoyed the opportunity to do the interview. 

During the intercambio he had the movie about Gordon B. Hinckley and it was sooo good! I don't know how I've never seen that before, but he was such a great man, I love reading his talks now.

We actually went to the baptism on Saturday night to support them because it's the first baptism in the zone this transfer, it was great, and really spiritual. He was crying as people talked after the baptism. 

Thanks parents because I ordered myself a nice quad in spanish for Christmas! Don't know when It'll come, but the order is in at least haha.

Two funny stories. (To me at least)-
We walk and kids in high school always yell HELLO HOW ARE YOU (it's the phrase they learn) and I didn't want to respond good, and you? Because that's the example phrase, so I said how's it walking? And then we take like 2 steps and Elder Vallecillos and I just start laughing because that sounds so weird in english. I got mixed up because that's normal to say here in spanish. Literally my english is dying.

Yesterday morning my comp and I both woke up a tad early in the morning and were lying down still and I was like, "Hey, the weird knife things we use here in Uruguay to eat are so weird." And he was like, "What knife things?" Then I snapped out of my dream and realized that I had totally imagined these knives with bottle openers to eat with and I was like, "Wait, they just use normal utensils here?" And we both started laughing. Not very funny when I write it.... urt.

So we are going to drop an investigator who always commits but never does. It's kind of a bummer, but really he isn't improving anything, and is going to think that this religion isn't right, but he's not doing it right. So it's better he waits until he is ready to act on beliefs, but still hard to tell them we won't be passing often like we have been.

We have a cool investigator who is 27 and we had some good, spiritual lessons with him this week. His life has gone bad in the last 6 months due to a car wreck and family problems, but he is really smart and wants to believe. So we'll keep working with him. He came to a branch activity on Wednesday, but didn't come to church because he was out late at a wedding at night, kind of a bummer. 

We didn't have anyone in church. It's been a bummer. I try to still enjoy church, but when we're waiting for people who say they'll go and don't, it's a little distracting. I give a talk next week I just remembered haha.

We've been doing a lot of contacts because it's been hard to get references, and we met a lot of cool people, mostly yesterday. We even have a lesson tonight with a couple we met yesterday, so pray that they're there! That's so common here. We set a time, and they just are not there. Frustrating. 

I love the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I'm so lucky to know what the Book of Mormon is (not Smith's book haha) and how it can bless us. 2 Nephi 9 explains what happens when we pass away very clearly. I was loving it this morning. 

It got super hot now. It's so nice. Like sweaty and everything haha. Then rained, then hot again. We made tacos today for lunch and it was so good! I'll send pics I think!

We have intercambios with the assistants on Friday! I think I'll be with Elder Ford! He will only have 4 days left in his mission!!!! That's so crazy!!!! So I think I'll be the last intercambio of his because we're the last zone. That'll be kind of sad to say bye. He is like a brother to me.


Top Ten.

10. The nice, hot weather
9. Cool people that we meet doing contacts! 
8. Exercises being a fun part of the day
7. I love our district! I look forward to D.M. We're making a district lunch on Wednesday after our meeting.
6. Intercambio with Elder Peterson
5. E. as an investigator! Good lessons. Honest intent.
4. I love my comp. We have a good time together always.
3. Sister Wall fixed my pants! Like 3/5 of them! She was the lead seamstress at Nordstrom for lots of years and like pulled in the waist, lengthened them and tapered them a tad, and fixed the pockets, and it all looks brand new!!!! So crazy! 
2. I have been getting better at understanding the scrips which has been really fun for me! I'm enjoying it more and feel more self sufficient with the scriptures.
1. Doing my first baptismal interview was a great experience that I won't forget! 

I love you all, have a great week!!!

Elder Richmond

 Silly photos we took today haha





 Un matecito


  This train smashed a truck in our area last week! 




 The baptism in San Ramón!


 Elder Batty always looking so stylish haha 



 Best orange I've ever eaten in my life!



 Our "plaza date" we have every 2 weeks. 
Super peaceful and I love it.


 The tacos we made today.




 TACOS!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment